decoration of the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua (between 1303-1305) has
been universally recognized as the most significant and most
paradigmatic creation of Giotto and one of the capital events in the
history of the European painting.
Enrico Scrovegni, the Paduan sponsor of Giotto was a very highly
placed personage. Very rich and ambitious, he acquired in 1300 the
area of Arena in order to build a palace with a chapel; the dates of
construction, decoration and consecration are documented between 1303
For this aristocratic commission, Giotto had at his disposal the walls
of a small church, which was also asymmetric due to the six windows
that open only on the right wall. In order to implement his vast
iconographic program, the painter took as point of reference the space
between two windows, calculating the insertion of two stories, one on
top of the other; the frescos are smaller than those in Assisi (200 x
185 cm, compared to 270 x 230 cm).
On the back wall, the florentine artist painted a single grandiose
scene, the Final Judgement.