From the jewellery collection of Catherine the Great

This rectangular gold snuff-box was created by the French craftsman Jean George in 1761 to a commission from Peter III. The main element in the decoration is painting executed in gouache and placed beneath sheets of rock crystal. The miniature on the lid, base and sides show scenes of Peter III's Guards Holstein Regiment in camp. On the underside of the lid is a portrait of the Emperor himself. The snuff-box belonged to Peter III and has been in the Gallery of Jewellery since the mid-19th century.

 

HOME

VIRTUAL VIEWINGS